Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jansyn

Ladakh is a place where I see my “other life” contained in an invisible snow-globe. I hold the globe very still in the palm of my hand and watch the pile of plastic flakes grow. That which was previously hidden by the swirling snow is now revealed as the flakes settle.
Ladakh shelters me, shrouds me in a sky full of stars. In Western Mass. these same stars cower behind a veil of artificial light. In Ladakh I drink in their presence until a heavy wind throws sand into my face and I stumble back into fluorescent reality. Conventional reality.
Ladakh is a white screen. Steep, eroding mountains are projected onto the blankness. Packages and postcards arrive through a small door on the lower left hand corner of the two-dimensional landscape. Ladakh is so fantastic it can’t possibly be real.

No longer am I wedged in that glass snow-globe staring out at a distorted truth. Ladakh is a place where I no longer know what “truth” is.

No comments: