Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ashleen

Ladakh is a place where I never feel rushed or stressed or scared. I can sit on my greenhouse landing, put off my homework and soak in the sun. It doesn’t matter what I do because it is always well worth my time. The days go by in a daze of enjoying each step. We trekked through Sham stopping each day to stay and live with a Ladakhi family each as welcoming as the last. Showering us with sweetly overpowering milk tea and cookies and watching us eagerly as we forced down a cup of butter tea and instantly refilling it. Once in a while there are day hikes that take us to spectacular views and cascading glaciers. We’re never quite sure what we’ll see each day.
Ladakh is a place where every morning it takes my breath away, and not just the altitude. I walk outside to see the Indus River to my left and towering, snow covered peaks surrounding me from every direction. I take time to walk down to a footbridge about three miles off campus. I sit by the river, watching the water rush by. Occasionally I throw a small stone in to hear that wonderful plop sound. Thoughts flow freely in and out of my mind as I sit on the shore.
Ladakh is a place where I lose myself in the sights and sounds of my surroundings. At night as I wonder aimlessly in the dark, I can hear the wild dogs barking and howling close by. I look up at the star strewn sky and feel as though I am falling upwards into the black abyss of the universe. The bright star, Sirius that represents the black dog who follows Orion through the sky follows me as I travel across the world. At night as I sit awake reading the wind beats heavy on the greenhouse plastic. It reminds me of hot summer nights when a storm begins to brew. When the plastic smacks loud against a beam it is as though a bolt of lightning has struck.

4 comments:

Denae said...

Ashleen - I'm so glad you're enjoying Ladakh! You know now what I mean when I say that SECMOL is an amazing place. I am so envious that you are there and I am not.
Tshangma-la Julley!

Rebecca said...

Julley Ashleenee
Your writing is beautiful--just like you. What does "Tshangma-la" mean--it sounds so beautiful.
Your happiness makes me happy.
Love,
Meemo

Michael Townsend said...

Butter tea sounds very good. How is it made?

Unknown said...

Julley Ashleen
I am so proud of you Ash. I am with you in spirit and when you write so beautifully about your studies and treks I am able to be there with you. I can see those mountains and hear the river as it flows past you. This is such a wonderful adventure for you and your friends. Love and miss you so much, Grammi Sandi